Re: Help -- Can't logon at GUI session (ctl-alt-F7)

On 03/08/2016 08:13 PM, Dennis Wicks wrote:
I fill in user-id and password, click "Sign In" and the screen goes blank, flashes a few times, then comes right back to the sign in screen. Trying to log on with root does the same thing, even though I am supposed to be able to do it.

I can logon at terminal screens (ctl-alt-f1 etc) with either my personal userid or as root with no problem.

In case it makes a difference, Jessie AMD64

Many TIA!!
Dennis

I have had similar situation before. I can't say that this is a good much less the best way to deal with it, but what I ended up doing is deleting all of the configuration files stored in the home directories of the affected users. (anything starting with .) Once this was done, the desktop environment was forced to re-create new configuration files. This problem, in my experience is due to something in one of the configuration files that was corrupted. In your situation, as it affects more than one user, this may not work as it it probable that the problem is in a global configuration in the /etc directory. Hopefully, someone with more experience will answer and give you a better pointer to exactly which files to look at.

--
MEM