Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

Jarle Aase wrote:

> And frankly, it makes no sense to me that printers require special
> drivers in order to work. The transport protocols are standardized. The
> page description protocols are standardized (or at least well known).

This is true, but the internal machinery must be driven somehow - this is
not covered by anything standardized.

> Using proprietary transport or page description protocols seems just
> like a waste of development resources and support resources. It's very
> hard to make good, optimal implementations of anything slightly complex
> (it's just weeks ago another dns bug was found in glibc!). Therefore it
> should be best for everyone to refine common code to do such things as
> safe and efficient as possible. Not reinventing wheels and doing the
> same stupid mistakes over and over again. I really don't understand what
> the printer industry (this is not only a problem with Brother) is doing.
> May be it boils down to something as simple as the egos at incompetent
> product managers.

Well, I also do not understand capitalist way of thinking perfectly well.
While no one is supposed to reinvent the wheel, industry etc works in
secrecy and does not share - thus one is supposed to reinvent the wheel at
the end or share profit (patent rights).
One mentioned obsolescence before. I think the profit driven corporations
are acting nowdays as psychopats.

The printing would work without proprietary software as you pointed out -
that protocol is standard but if you check the specs of the device, you
would find out that it is All-in-one unit - scanner + printer + wireless
print server. All this needs a software - I highlight 2 points from the
specs

- Wireless Mobile Device Printing
- Web Connect Scan to popular cloud services including Google Drive™,
DropboxWeb Connect Scan to popular cloud services including Google Drive™,
Dropbox, Evernote® and Evernote Business® , Microsoft OneNote® and more,
Evernote® and Evernote Business® , Microsoft OneNote® and more

http://www.brother-usa.com/MultiFunction/ModelDetail/4/mfcj5720dw/Overview#.Vt8TanYiQR9

So if you want to just print - buy just printing device and do not moan
about proprietary drivers.

I personally prefer HP business class laser printers - you could opt in
wireless or whatever features - ex:
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/business-solutions/hp-laserjet-p2035-printer-ce461a-aba

Epson products are also on my table, however people save 100$ to complain
later and drop the product in 5 years. I've been using Epson needle printer
since 1996 and HP LJ 5L since 2001. I hope I can use them another 5-10y.

regards