Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Tuesday 08 March 2016 10:17:54 Ron Leach wrote:

> On 08/03/2016 14:56, Jarle Aase wrote:
> > The printer display says that it is receiving data. Then nothing
> > happens. So the comm-link is OK.
>
> I had a Brother MFC around 6 years ago and remember having difficulty
> setting it up.  In the end, if I remember correctly, the issue was
> that the printer would only print from a queue with a specific name.
> It may have been " _binary ", or something.
>
> I found that out on some web site or other, and might have been
> Brother's own support site for its Linux driver.  I am sorry I have no
> more-specific details.
>
> I could understand that Brother might keep using the same codebase for
> its Linux support of each new printer, perhaps just tweaking some or
> other details and, if the case, then the issue about Brother printers
> requiring some specific queue name might still exist.
>
> Have you seen anything about this?
>
> regards, Ron

I've been using Brother printers, laser versions, for several years now,
and as long as I use the name I gave it in the cups configs, they Just
Work(TM).  They are, or cups is, case sensitive.  The color laser has
both usb, cat5, and wireless capability.  Wireless is disabled foir
security reasons, but the other two interfaces are interchangeable by
changing the printers "cups name" as cups thinks its 2 printers, one
with a usb interace and one with a cat5, addressed on my local home
coyote.den network.  The network interface is noticeably faster than the
USB as its a USB2.0 max data rate.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)