Re: binary-i386 packages missing in Release file

On Monday 07 March 2016 00:30:44 Haines Brown wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 08:43:56PM -0300, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
> > Correct syntax is:
> >
> > --
> > deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
> > --
> >
> > On 6 March 2016 at 20:10, Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:
> >
> >     On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 10:47:26PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> >     >       Hi.
> >     >
> >     > On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 14:34:25 -0500
> >     >
> >     > Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:
> >     > > I have jessie installed on an AMD64 machine, which lacks any
> >     > > desktop environment.
> >     > >
> >     > > I downloaded google-chrome AMD64 deb from the Chrome website and
> >     > > installed by running dpkg -i on it. It works OK. But now I want
> >     > > to add flashplugin-nonfree for it or, if that fails to use it for
> >     > > my iceweasel. In order to install flashplugin-nonfree I added
> >     > > contrib to the sources.list.
> >     > >
> >     > > When I do aptitude update, the contrib it hit, but the update
> >     > > fails
> >     > >
> >     > > because:
> >     > > > W: Failed to fetch
> >     > > > http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/stable/Release:
> >     > > > Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-i386/Packages' in
> >     > > > file
> >     >
> >     > 1) Locate the line like this in a file inside
> >     > /etc/apt/sources.list.d:
> >     >
> >     > deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/
> >     >
> >     > 2) Change it to:
> >     >
> >     > deb [amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/
> >     >
> >     > This warning should go away.
> >     >
> >     > Reco
> >
> >     Reco, your suggestion didn't work. When I do an update I get
> >
> >     > E: Malformed line 14 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list ([amd64]
> >     > is not an assignment)
> >
> >     I did not have the dl.google.com line to start with. When I removed
> > the amd, and the line still malformed. When I comment the line
> > altogether, I get failed to fetch because there no
> > 'main/binary-i386/Pakages in release file. Why does it look for
> > dl.google.com? The line is not in sources.list.
> >
> >     Haines
>
> Progress, but not there yet. In sources.list I have the line:
>
>   deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
>
> When I do # aptitude update, it starts with a warning:
>
>      W: Duplicate sources.list entry
>      http://dl.google.com/linus/chrome/deb stable/main amd64 Packages
>      (/var/lib/apt/lists/dl.google.com_linux_chrome_deb_dists_stable_ \
>      main_binary-amd64_packages)
>
>      W: You may want to update the packages lists to correct these
>      missing files

> [...]

It sounds as though your Jessie is being identified as Wheezy.  You get that
warning with Wheezy, even if it is 64bit Wheezy with 64bit Google-Chrome.
Presumably because Google hasn't written a string of different error messages
for the various different things it has just stopped supporting.

Why Jessie is being identified as Wheezy is another question.  Is there any
reason why you might get identified as Ubuntu 12.04?  Another of the things
that has just dropped off Google's cliff.

Lisi