Gnome GUI: status line issue

Hi,

I am not sure now how that has happened, but probably somewhere during the system upgrade from squeeze to wheezy (the upgrade done from within GUI), one of my machines somehow lost the ability of the status line in Gnome GUI to show icons of active program windows, either normal or [minimized]. What to do to recover that ability? (Now in the status line, there are only four boxes on the right for Workspaces 1-4. All the remaining of the line is empty black.)