getting correct name on wireless card

Another type of instance happened to me earlier tonight where the wifi adapter did not connect. I was doing some configuration modification on sound card settings and rebooted the computer. No wifi adapter until after another reboot. Apparently touching anything in the usb domain potentially effects everything in the usb/pci domain at least temporarily and the operating system and configuration control components get or can get at least temporarily confused.