Re: Avoiding to mount /run/lock

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 10:15:40PM +0100, Marlen Caemmerer wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Mar 2016, Sven Hartge wrote:

>>> Why do you want to disable /run/lock? What do you want to accomplish by
>>> doing so? It is a 5MB tmpfs, what could be wrong with it?

>> I run a samba server that is heavily used. It currently uses 46MB in
>> /run/lock. When the partition is full all samba service dies.  I dont
>> see any real advantage in having an extra tmpfs partition - if it is
>> not a separate mount point I never run into any issues.  Currently I
>> unmount the partition after boot but  I guess thats not an optimal
>> solution.

> Sven has a point: perhaps increasing the size or finding out what's up
> with samba. That said, if you are using sysvinit, the script responsible
> for mounting /run/lock is /etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh; if you're on
> systemd I'm out of my depth, sorry.

I see reports from Samba users dating back quite a while about big
locking.tdb files in /run/lock or /var/lock, for example
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-August/175075.html

The Sernet guys, whor provided the Samba 4 packages back then changed
the location for the locking.tdb to /var/cache/samba to avoid that
problem:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-August/175356.html

Maybe Debian should to the same?

Looking at smb.conf, you can also do this, just change "lock directory"
to a sane value. The default is "lock directory = /var/run/samba".

Grüße,
Sven

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.