Re: Nvidia Optimus in Debian

On 04/03/2016, Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have an Optimus notebook Acer Aspire V3 773G and using Debian testing.
>
> lspci:
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
> 01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106M [GeForce GTX 760M] (rev
> a1)
>
> The system is working, for now X is using the Intel chip.
>
> While I have heard of Bumblebee I want to always use the Nvidia chip. It
> seems Ubuntu can do this (I think they are using something called nvidia
> prime) to switch between the chips.
>
> Has anyone done this in Debian?
>
> Many greetings,
>
> 	Stephan

Hello, Stephan.

In searching for information about the V3-773G, I found very little
that is in english.

I have a V3-772G, and it took me two years to get it working with a
non-MS operating system.

My V3-772G shows on the case, as having an intel i7-4702MQ CPU (with
inbuilt graphics); I believe that it is of the Haskell architecture,
and, an nVidia GeForce GT750M graphics thing.

The only non-MS operating system that I could find, to drive the
hardware, was Ubuntu Linux, and I am now using UbuntuMATE 15.10 on it,
and, have been using UbuntuMATE, since some time last year.

Apart from having increased the RAM to 32GB, the computer hardware is
as it was  in its standard form.

There is, I think, much, in the list archives, about my adventure in
trying to get the computer to work, and, a particular problem, that
led to me finding about the drivers problems, was that, with Debian, I
could not get an external monitor to work.

The computer is a fine computer, but I think that you may have to
install Ubuntu Linux on your computer, to get it to work properly.

Whilst I was not trying Debian testing, in its current form, I had
tried to apply bumblebee to it, in my adventure with it, and, the
version of bumblebee that I tried (a later version may exist - I have
no idea), it did not work.

The only solution for my computer, was to install Ubuntu Linux.

And, it works. Mostly.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale