Re: XFS on root

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 06:48:31PM +0300, Adam Wilson wrote:

> Exactly. The reason I don't use ext4 for /boot, but ext2 is that I
> simply don't see the need for journalling in a partition that sees only
> occasional writes.
>
> I don't really want journalling for /boot, because it's largely
> redundant and slower than not having journalling. Debian offers three
> non-journalling filesystems in the installer- ext2, fat, and ntfs.
> Since I want something UNIX-y, fat and ntfs are out, which leaves ext2.
>
> Faster than ext3 and 4, but still UNIX-compatible.

On the one hand, you don't use /boot much. And on the other
hand, you are concerned about speed.

These things don't make sense together. The less often you do
something, the less you should care about speed. Conversely, if
you do something often, you should care more about speed... as
long as it is still correct.

A journal on /boot can save you from problems in the part of the system
which is often hardest to debug: booting. Improving reliability at the
cost of speed in something that you do rarely is a win.

-dsr-