Re: Mounting a Windows Share

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 15:00:31 -0500, The Wanderer
<wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>I presume that the user as which you are attempting to run the later
>mount command has write and execute permission on this new directory.

Yes. It's root, which means it's me, as I'm the only one fooling with
this at the moment.

>> In /etc/fstab, as directed by the same article, I have placed the
>> line:
>>
>> //box/users2 /mnt/users cifs
>
>That looks incomplete to me; it doesn't seem to specify the mount
>options, or the usual zero values for the "dump" and "pass" columns.

You're right. I knew they were missing, but the article that
instructed me on how to modify fstab didn't explain what the two 0's
at the end of the line are for, so I omitted them, hoping an error
message would give me a clue as to what I should put in their places.

>If you're running that command as root, the fstab entry should not be
>necessary; if you're running it as non-root, IIRC the "specify both
>mount point and device to mount" will be rejected as "only root can do
>that". Either way, this doesn't look quite right.

I'm running it as root all right. I just now tried:

mount -t cifs //box/users2 /mnt/share -o username:"Steve Matzura"

and got back:

Username specified with no parameter

>> The system responds:
>>
>> mount error(13): Permission denied
>>
>> Is there a default username and password I'm supposed to use, like
>> maybe the Windows network password, or something else perhaps?
>
>You most likely need the username and password of a user account on the
>Windows box which can access that directory; you may also need to
>configure the Windows share to specifically grant that user account
>access to the share. With that done, you will need to specify those
>credentials in the mount command, with the '-o user=' option.
>
>(Technically what you need is a user account on the appropriate
>_domain_, but for a non-domain-joined Windows computer the "domain" is
>the name of the computer, and AFAIK does not need to be specified
>separately. If this computer _is_ domain-joined and you log in to it
>with a domain account, you will probably need to specify the domain in
>the mount command as well.)

Nothing that complicated. Just a default system username, which is my
name, and no login password. I tried:

-o user="Steve Matzura",pass=""