Re: Do have programs have poor documentation? (was ... Re: Why? -- "A Modest Proposal")

Richard Owlett wrote:
> I never used a pin board, but as a junior engineer I helped
> create the wire lists to take input (an open/closed contact) from
> 1000+ points in power plants and associated distribution system
> for presentation in a control room on a Visual Annunciator.
>
> How the lamps lit was dependent on contact state, contact change
> of state and current state of a large number of other contacts.
> The lamps could be on, off, or flashing at a specified rate.

Sounds like one of those projects you'd find in the back of any number
of various "hobby" publications for "make an authentic $thing for
$purpose in your hobby".  It's always amazing to hear and see how people
created the logic circuits with discrete components, rather than
microprocessors.

> I think that fits any reasonable definition of programming. The
> overall system had an equivalent of macros -- implemented by
> small cards with TTL chips whose fine detail of operation could
> be programmed by selecting which jumpers were installed.

Indeed it does.

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947