Re: Synaptic icons - where defined/explained?

On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 01:47:25 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

Hello Richard,

{hopefully with a clearer head and a more stable connection...}

>I wonder if it had specific implications "once upon a time" and
>now means nothing more than the empty box i.e "Not installed".

It means /exactly/ what the help display says.  It's a *new* package in
the repo.  Even though you installed from DVD, the standard install
process goes online to fetch updated packages.  When the install
finishes, you will already have that online repo added to your
sources.list file.  If you don't want to use that repo, simply disable
it in Synaptic.

--
 Regards  _
It's your life so go your own way