Re: Which type of FTP transfer for apt and aptitude?

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 09:49:21PM +0100, M.A. Perry wrote:
> Dear People,
> A simple question for which I have so far found no
> answer in the Debian documentation. My computer
> is a domestic, Debian 8.6 AMD-64 box that uses
> apt-get and aptitude for ugrades and/or installations.
>
> We are currently writing a set of ip_tables rules for
> a default baseline  -A OUTPUT DROP. Thus the rules
> will block outgoing traffic which is not specifically
> permitted.
>
> The URL specifications in /etc/apt/sources.list of
> my Debian box contain both HTTP and FTP in the URL
> for example: http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ and this
> confuses me.
>
> QUESTION:
> Which data transfer protocol(s) are used for downloads
> from the Debian Repository to my desktop? Must my
> firewall ACCEPT
> -- plain HTTP (port 80) ; or
> -- is HTTPS (port 443) later involved; or
> -- active FTP (port 20) used or
> -- passive FTP (port 1024:65535) applicable ?

The URL specifies http as the protocol; the name of the
machine is ftp.nl.debian.org for historical reasons.

While you can actually use ftp to retrieve the files,
http performs much better. Just use http. Open up
443 as well, as it is likely that Debian will transition
to https in the future.

-dsr-