Re: Manually installed packages (was: Uninstalling Gnome)

On Tue 29 Nov 2016 at 23:45:51 (+0000), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > When I freshly installed Debian on my present system, I chose Gnome as my
> > Desktop manager, then I switched to Openbox.  To free space, now I want to
> > remove all those Gnome packages that I haven't used any more but am not sure
> > what of them I may delete without perturbing the system.  How can I know?
> > More in general, is there a way to know what packages one is not using and so
> > can be removed?
>

> If I run `apt-mark showmanual', a list of packages is ouput that are supposed
> to have been manually installed on my system but that actually I don't at all
> remember ever installing neither do I believe they truly have been nay I'm sure
> they haven't...  Any people could explain that?

apt-mark showmanual   gives you the complement of   apt-mark showauto.
The second paragraph of apt-mark's description explains what's meant
by "auto". So "manual" doesn't mean what you appear to assume it does,
that you were involved in manually selecting it for installation. It
just means "not auto".

Cheers,
David.