Re: Uninstalling Gnome

On Tue 29 Nov 2016 at 09:11:37 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
>
> > On Mon 28 Nov 2016 at 21:44:00 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> >
> >> When I freshly installed Debian on my present system, I chose Gnome as my
> >> Desktop manager, then I switched to Openbox.  To free space, now I want to
> >> remove all those Gnome packages that I haven't used any more but am not sure
> >> what of them I may delete without perturbing the system.  How can I know?
> >> More
> >> in general, is there a way to know what packages one is not using and so can
> >> be
> >> removed?
> >
> > apt-get purge gnome gnome-shell
> > apt-get autoremove
> >
> > And go from there with 'dpkg -l'.
>

> Thanks.  But, my question is: how can I be sure and safe that doing so will not
> perturbing my system?

Impossible to answer because we do not know what you mean by "all those
Gnome packages that I haven't used any more". For example, is pulseaudio
a gnome package? Or dosfstools? Both are installed when GNOME is
installed.

If the technique above removes anything of value to you make a note of
it and reinstall it later to get an unperturbed system.

--
Brian.