Re: Weirdness with two packages.........

On 2016-11-27 at 18:57, Charles Schroeder wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> 	In  3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u3
> 	(2015-08-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I get this message when I attempt to use Chromium:
>
> $ chromium
> /usr/lib/chromium/chromium: relocation
> error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavformat.so.57: symbol
> avpriv_dict_set_timestamp, version LIBAVUTIL_55 not defined in file
> libavutil.so.55 with link time reference
>
> Much the same when I attempt to use goldendict:
>
> $ goldendict
> goldendict: relocation
> error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavformat.so.57: symbol
> avpriv_dict_set_timestamp, version LIBAVUTIL_55 not defined in file
> libavutil.so.55 with link time reference
>
> I have no idea what is happening here or how I work round it?
>
> I can't find those files in my: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ directory?

They should be there, not as files, but as symlinks.

> Trying to install both those packages tells me they are "already
> the newest version" so nothing to install?
>
> Update, upgrade and reboot doesn't fix it.

What versions are those packages at, according to e.g. 'apt-cache policy
[packagename]'?

What about the libavutil55 and libavformat57 packages?

I have:

$ apt-cache policy chromium
chromium:
  Installed: 53.0.2785.143-1
  Candidate: 53.0.2785.143-1
  Version table:
 *** 53.0.2785.143-1 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     53.0.2785.143-1~deb8u1 500
        500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main amd64 Packages
     53.0.2785.89-1~deb8u1 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages

$ apt-cache policy libavutil55
libavutil55:
  Installed: 7:3.2-2
  Candidate: 7:3.2-2
  Version table:
 *** 7:3.2-2 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$ apt-cache policy libavformat57
libavformat57:
  Installed: 7:3.2-2
  Candidate: 7:3.2-2
  Version table:
 *** 7:3.2-2 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

and I don't have goldendict installed.

When I launch chromium from a terminal, I don't get the error you
report. (I do get a different message, but it looks like "normal"
Chromium console spam; I'm not sure I've ever had a nontrivial Chromium
session with no console messages.)

--
   The Wanderer