Re: How to mount a LVM?

On 11/24/16, Robert Latest <boblatest@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I got it to work ONCE, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do
> it again.
>
> This is what I think I did the first time, but for the second time it just
> doesn't work.
>
> root@dotcom:~# mdadm --assemble --scan
> mdadm: /dev/md/2 has been started with 1 drive.
> mdadm: /dev/md/3 has been started with 1 drive.
>
> ---OK, good so far. Now let's find the LVs
> < snipped for brevity >
>
> ---Still looking good. Now I'm supposed to find the logical volumes,
> ---but lvdisplay simply doesn't show anything.
>
> root@dotcom:~# lvdisplay
> root@dotcom:~#
>
> ---Now I'm stuck. All LVM instructions I find on the Internet say that I
> find the path of the LVM device by using lvdisplay. Also I know that one
> hour ago I had my volumes mounted and was copying data from them. After
> properly syncing and unmounting them, and stopping the LVM and md thingys,
> I'm stuck now.
>
> Any suggestions?

What about hitting your up and down arrows while in your terminal?
Doesn't always work, especially if you open more than one [session] in
your favored terminal. That brings to mind to say that not all
terminal packages may honor that FABULOUS feature, either. The reason
it doesn't always report all recent previous commands under multiple
open tabs/windows is that it appears to cherry pick the commands from
the last window closed at any given point.

For new users: If provided as a terminal's feature, up and down arrows
will present previous commands issued up to some finite point. It will
provide what was issued under the user who is performing that feature,
i.e. my user "elf" cannot search previous terminal commands for user
"root" or "candycane". #TrueStory :D

You could also try grep'ing your system files for those known commands
that are still successful for you. My rationale is that maybe there's
a terminal related log file lurking around.

One very minor caveat (translation: annoyance) to those searches is
that I tried it just now and landed at /var/log/auth.log for that
*that* grep command I was performing *that very second* while using
root access (via sudo). I always get excited when a potentially useful
file is found but then turns out to "only" be the related query I'm
performing at precisely that second.

Hope that maybe helps.. :)

Cindy :)

--