Re: hplip and use of the "driver plugin"

On Wednesday 23 November 2016 06:59:05 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 12:21:21AM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
> > On 21/11/16 08:52, Brian wrote:
> > > Considering HP say they do not offer Linux support directly, you
> > > are doing well.
> >
> > Comments like this (those from HP and other vendors, not this one
> > from Brian) bug me.
> >
> > I don't want HP to support Linux; I want printers to use open,
> > published (by them or anyone else) protocols that _any_ OS provider
> > can choose to support. Not that there's anything wrong with them
> > providing hplip or whatever _as_well_.
>
> Very much this. Put in other terms: *I don't want HP to actively
> sabotage free software/open systems*
>
> Phew. Had to be said.

Something that needs to be repeated often enough they can hear it in the
board rooms.  There are 3 main brands of printers that when I am in the
market, I walk right past their shelf space and go look at another
brand, purely because of their avowed, you are using linux, so we will
not warranty any failures, or that go to extreme lengths to protect
their aftermarket ink or toner sales while selling the same cartridge
for several different printers at prices dependent of the original cost
of the printer but the price varies by a 5/1 ratio. Most of the profit
in selling the printer, is in the replacement of its expendables, so
much so that they can sell the printer for $19.99.  Thats cool, until
the ink runs out, and the replacement cartridge is over $100.  That
brand of user capture has never felt right to this old man. In my house,
a name brand lives or dies by the quality of printout and its cost per
printed page.

> thanks :-)
> -- tomás

Cheers, Gene Heskett