logrotate error (was A full /var partition destroyed 3 hours of my life!)

> [rsyslog maintainer speaking here]
>
>> One of the culprits in my full /var partition was a 3 gig syslog file
>> which has only been getting bigger since January despite running
>> logrotate -f. I try to run it this time but I'm told that it can't
>
> I'd be interested to find out, why logrotation was not done
> automatically. Do you have cron installed and running?
> Do you have  /etc/cron.daily/logrotate which works when executed and a
> corresponding /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog?
>
> Any idea why logrotate was not run or failed to do its job?

Following up on this question, when I had run logrotate -f
/etc/logrotate.conf in the past, I got these errors:
error: error creating output file /var/log/apache2/access.log.1.gz: File exists
error: error creating output file /var/log/apache2/error.log.1.gz: File exists
error: error creating output file /var/log/cups/access_log.1.gz: File exists
error: error creating output file /var/log/exim4/mainlog.1.gz: File exists
error: error creating output file /var/log/syslog.1.gz: File exists

It seems that logrotate doesn't rotate these, so the original files
increase in size indefinitely. I removed the offending files and
logrotate runs without errors, for the time being.

Is this a known software issue, possibly from a version upgrade?