Re: Why? -- "A Modest Proposal"

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> [man page or wiki]

either, both, all documentation.

yes i know that these, updating documentation, can take a considerable amount of time, especially with the amount of programs/packages that there are available to, especially debian, linux.  just looking at my system, ls /bin/, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /sbin/, /usr/sbin/ | wc -l equals 2680.

huge undertaking for just a static system.  now update for different versions of the program/package, stable, testing, unstable, fedora, centos, opensuse, ... = really big number.

>From the view of the developer it is not that easy.
>It is very demanding to document a program which one does not know on
>source level.

understandable.  yet, couldn't a review of the docs be achieved with each security update?

maybe this thread show be forwarded to the FSF so they can think about putting things on the so-called 'same page'.