Re: Why? -- "A Modest Proposal"

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 02:52:37PM +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 November 2016 14:13:49 Richard Owlett wrote:
> > There exist SOC <Summer of Code> projects to encourage/mentor
> > fledgling programmers.
> > Considering the state of documentation, esp man pages, why no SOD
> > <Summer of Documentation> projects for potential tech writers.
>
> There is no obvious pay-off for Google - or anyone else with money.  And it
> isn't fun.

Your answer highlights the problem, although it's not quite what you said:
the pay-off is, better docs! Which are very important. Perhaps not as much
as the programs themselves; the question is, how important? Unfortunately,
many people think nowhere near as important, hence nobody being prepared
to pay for it.

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.