Re: Debian repository: no updates for PygreSQL package

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 6:59 AM, Loren Dvid <lor1990@walla.co.il> wrote:
> Hello,
> In debian 6.0 and 7.0 the latest stable version of PygreSQL package is 4.0
> http://www.pygresql.org/contents/changelog.html
> This version is from 2009. The newest stable version is 5.0.2
> Why the repository is not being updated?

There are multiple things I would like to point out here.

1) Debian 6.0 and 7.0 are very old versions of Debian. They are no
longer supported. Please consider upgrading to the latest stable
version of Debian. Currently it is 8.6 and is called Jessie.

2) Even if you upgrade to latest Debian stable version, you will still
get 4.0.3 and that will not change in the future. This is because
Debian stable will only get security fixes and does not get any new
versions.

3) As http://kamarajukusumanchi.github.io/choosing_debian_distribution/choosing_debian_distribution.html
would tell you, your best bet to get the latest version of a software
package is to install Debian unstable. But in this case even that
would not help because even Debian unstable has 4.0.3

 % rmadison python-pygresql
debian:
 python-pygresql | 1:4.0-2+b1 | squeeze         | amd64, armel, i386,
ia64, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390,
sparc
 python-pygresql | 1:4.0-3    | wheezy          | amd64, armel, armhf,
i386, ia64, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc,
s390, s390x, sparc
 python-pygresql | 1:4.0-3.1  | jessie-kfreebsd | kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386
 python-pygresql | 1:4.0-3.1  | jessie          | amd64, arm64, armel,
armhf, i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc, ppc64el, s390x
 python-pygresql | 1:4.0-3.1  | stretch         | amd64, arm64, armel,
armhf, i386, mips, mips64el, mipsel, ppc64el, s390x
 python-pygresql | 1:4.0-3.1  | sid             | amd64, arm64, armel,
armhf, hurd-i386, i386, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, mips, mips64el,
mipsel, powerpc, ppc64el, s390x

4) Normally, the next logical step is to file a "wishlist" bug asking
the maintainer to package the new upstream version. But in this case,
that may not be desirable since as Richard Hector pointed out, this
functionality is provided by another package (python-psycopg2) and is
also way more popular.

 % echo "python-pygresql python-psycopg2" | tr ' ' '\n' | popsort.py
14919 python-pygresql
4260 python-psycopg2

where the first column shows the package rank from popularity contest.
BTW popsort.py is a script written by me and documented at
http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Sort_output_of_apt-cache_search_by_popularity
.

5) If you still want the latest version of python-pygresql, use
reportbug tool to file the "wishlist" bug. If you do not know how to
do that, I am happy to do it for you.

Hope that helps
raju
--