Re: set domain name in Debian `

Hi Glenn,

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 01:27:28PM -0700, Glenn English wrote:
> I have to change the domain name of a Jessie server I'm working on. How do you do it? (Aside from putting the FQDN in /etc/hostname, which kinda works.)

I normally put the short name in /etc/hostname and then the:

<IP address>    <FQDN> <short name>

in /etc/hosts. That works for me both for setting initial host name
and FQDN, and for changing it later.

After you have done that, what command are you using which shows you
the old/incorrect values?

Note that the domain part comes from name resolution, so will
involve /etc/hosts and potentially DNS or other name services you
have configured in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Cheers,
Andy