Re: Gparted will not label an existing FAT32 partition

	Hi.

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 18:52:06 +0000
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri 11 Nov 2016 at 21:33:58 +0300, Reco wrote:
>
> > As for the original problem - gparted is a GNOME application, so it's
> > expected to silently refuse doing potentially dangerous operations.
>
> And yet gparted(8) and the manual at
>
>   http://gparted.org/display-doc.php%3Fname%3Dhelp-manual
>
> indicate setting a file system label is supported. Are we looking at a
> bug in gparted?

Beats me as I don't know C++ gparted is written in, nor have any desire
to learn it. Plain C is enough for me, and there's strace for the cases
when it does not.

Presumably gparted checks if a partition is used by something (a mounted
filesystem maybe?) and fails silently (i.e. makes a button inactive) if
it considers such check successful.

Whenever such check is justified, and whenever the implementation of
the check is flawless is something left to be seen.

Personally I'd say it's not worth the trouble to investigate the
issue as dosfslabel should do the job without the (potentially
dangerous) need to run GUI tool as root. There's a reason they use
PolicyKit for nearly everything else which requires root in a modern
GNOME, after all.

Reco