Re: USB mouse and keyboard disconnected

Mark,

thank you for your reply!

> Random thought -- if ehci_pci is already loaded for some other device
> early in the boot process, in a way that doesn't require the ehci_hcd
> module, and then udev detects the keyboard and mouse, determines it
> needs ehci_pci... and concludes all is well because that module is
> already loaded... But the ehci_hcd piece isn't.... And then removing it
> and re-loading it looks at the dependencies again in the light of all
> the hardware udev is aware of by that stage, and so loads the
> sub-module, and the keyboard and mouse start working...

Maybe I misunderstood you, but at the time of the issue when I SSH
into the machine, I can see that "ehci_hcd" is loaded.

> OR, perhaps less far-fetched, could your running kernel somehow have
> access to 2 versions of the ehci_pci module, one with a dependency on
> ehci_hcd and one not? And at boot it is picking up the wrong one and
> when you run modprobe from the command line it is picking up the other?

As far as I can tell, there is only one ehci-pci module:

# find / ! -type d -iname "ehci*pci*"
/sys/module/ehci_hcd/holders/ehci_pci
/sys/module/usbcore/holders/ehci_pci
/lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-pci.ko
#

Any other ideas?

thanks,
Martin