Re: looking for a piece of software that will take an url (say to a blog post) and email me the contents

On Sat, Nov 05, 2016 at 03:01:14PM -0700, Dan Hitt wrote:
Does anybody know of a piece of software that you can give an URL to,
and it will then fetch the url and email the contents to you?

This sounds like you want a www4mail server.

www4mail servers are (were? I'm not sure if any still exist) a gateway service intended for people with limited access (for example, the developing world, where I have seen instances of "weekly internet access": a man comes around on a motorbike carrying the internet). The idea is that you send an email to, say www4mail@example.org with the contents "GET http://www.debian.org"; and the www4mail server will fetch that page, render it as text (or, uniquely to www4mail servers) as a modified HTML page wherein links are 'defanged' and can be used to generate subsequent emails.

There's a nice article on www4mail at LinuxJournal https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3825.

This could be a stand-alone app on the desktop, or a plug-in to a
browser, or a web site, or some combo.  (I guess it could be a
pipeline of curl and some mail program, but i'm afraid i'd just get
piles of incomprehensible text.)

I would plan on sending the mail to my gmail account (for searching
and archival purposes).

TIA for any clues.

dan

--