make oldconfig or make menuconfig failed to create lib/linux/version.h file needed to compile nvidia driver module

Using Jessie sid and problem occurred after an update of kernel to 4.8.0.1.
Nvidia driver requires a 'version' header as part of compiling a driver module.
The install dialog suggests that 'version.h' is missing due to the source not configured.
I have installed the kernel source and included the PIC mode fixes in the makefile.
I have run 'make oldconfig' as root which seemed to complete without problems.
Since that didn't generate a 'version.h' file I tried 'make menuconfig' but still no joy.

Thanks for any useful advice.
Bob G.