Re: Power Cut

On Sunday 30 October 2016 02:37:28 Hadi Motamedi wrote:

> Dear All
> I am using a debian server for cdr billing and mediation device on a
> remote network. I am experiencing problem that I am suspicious it
> comes from main supply power cut at the remote site. The power supply
> to the remote site comes from battery charger that will be
> automatically switched in circuit under main supply power cut but
> cannot provide adequate power for more than 2 hours . I am suspicious
> that the remote system is suffering from many frequent main supply
> power cut . Can you please do me favor and let me know if there is any
> log on my debian server that I can check to see if there would be many
> frequent power cut there ?
> Thank you for your time

Likely the only log will be /var/log/messages, which will show the reboot
time when power has been restored, IF the server is set to auto-boot
when power is restored. That should show when it restarted but may not
log the power failure because it doesn't have time to write the log.
So you can get your restart times, but not the fail time.

Is that "battery charger" smart enough to be interfaced with nut?

Thats short for Network UPS Tools, which can monitor and log such
activities, and even issue a clean shutdown to the whole system running
on this emergency power when the battery is nearly depleted. I'd also
see if natural gas is available at the site, so that a generator can be
started when the main power fails.

Going whole house and all my toys I have a 20 Kwh Generac here that
starts automatically, so I have power back up in about 5 seconds, but
that was in the $7000 range installed.  The wife has copd, and long
periods w/o the AC are very hard on her, so I did what I had to do.
This machine has a UPS, but most of the others here are set to
auto-reboot when power is restored.

Enterprising individuals can likely setup much smaller emergency/standby
power since all it would take in a pi or arduino and some programming to
send the start and stop commands if it had an electric starter and
kill.  You will need a "transfer" switch which must absolutely prevent
any locally generated power from feeding out into a failed power line as
that might kill someone trying to restore the power some distance away
from your site.

Here in the states, kohler, generac, & a dozen house brands peddle
smaller such generators, but are not always proportionately priced. Most
of the teeny ones are 2 strokers, needing mixed fuel, don't have
electric starters and in my experience are run 3 or 4 times junk so you
wasted that $300. I suspect you are not in the "states" so I don't have
a good idea what may be locally available for you.

Just throwing out ideas to see if anything "sticks to the wall" :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)