[jessie] recording line-in using ALSA?

I am trying to set up the ability to record line-in, but have been unable to
make it work and would appreciate advice. (I have looked at quite a few web
pages of various kinds of help for ALSA, but all of them seem to be rather
vague on the details of recording.)

The hardware is very simple:

----

n7dr@shack:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [IXP            ]: ATIIXP - ATI IXP
                      ATI IXP rev 2 with ALC658D at 0xfe02a000, irq 17
n7dr@shack:~$

----

The card has a mic input, a line input, and a speaker output.

If I simply run aplay with a WAV file, I hear the contents of the file. For
example:

----

n7dr@shack:~$ aplay -D hw:0,0 c*.wav

----

causes the named file to play. So *playing* seems to be fine.

However, I have been unable to find any way to record the line input.
Everything I have tried has resulted in silence in the output file.

For example:

----

n7dr@shack:~$ arecord -D hw:0,0 -fdat foo.wav

----

produces the file foo.wav, with silence.

amixer says:

----

n7dr@shack:~$ amixer
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 65536
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 55141 [84%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 55141 [84%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 65536
  Front Left: Capture 53640 [82%] [off]
  Front Right: Capture 53640 [82%] [off]
n7dr@shack:~$

----

which seems to be OK, insofar as I understand it, except that there is no
indication of whether the capture device is line-in or the mic line. I haven't
been able to find anything that explicitly tells me how to set the capture
device to be the line in.

alsamixer looks like this when viewing the Capture item:

───────────────────── AlsaMixer v1.0.28 ─────────────────────┐
│ Card: PulseAudio                    F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: PulseAudio                    F2:  System information │
│ Item: Capture                       Esc: Exit               │
│                                                             │
│                                                             │
│                                                             │
│                                                             │
│                                                             │
│                                                             │
│                                                             │
│                                                             │
│                            ┌──┐                             │
│                            │  │                             │
│                            │  │                             │
│                            │  │                             │
│                            │  │                             │
│                            │  │                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                            │▒▒│                             │
│                           L└──┘R                            │
│                          CAPTURE                            │
│                           82<>82                            │
│                         <Capture >                          │
│                                                             │
│                                                             │
│                                                             │
│                                                             │
│                                                             │
│                                                             │
│                                                             │
│                                                             │
└─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

I've also tried plugging the incoming audio into the mic socket (in case
that's what's being captured), and that just records silence as well.

So I suppose that my questions are:

1. How do I tell alsa that I want to capture from line-in?

2. How do I actually record the audio that I'm sending on the line-in line?

If more information is needed before these questions can be answered, please
let me know and I'll provide it.

  Doc Evans

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR