bootable USB drive creation

I need to boot into a hard drive diagnostic tool which is provided only as an ISO image by the manufacturer. Since my laptop does not have a CD drive, I hoped I could use a USB flash drive to run this tool from.

My search turned up resources on this, but it seems the answers were about booting a Linux rescue disk or such.

I tried just to dd the iso to the usb drive (/dev/sdc) but that did not do the trick. Was that supposed to work just like that?

There is unetbootin, but I rather do not install more software until I can run the hdd diagnostic. My drive is dying according to smartmon. (Also it is only for sid and I am on stable.)

Thanks for any insight.
-Matyas

--
"Rental activities in which you actively participate are considered passive activities." - IRS