Re: kernel header for 4.6.0-1-686

Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu> writes:

>> Juanjo Benages <juanjo@benages.eu> writes:

>>> Have you tried on snapshot.debian.org? It should be there.
>>
>> Using the binary tool search I finally found linux-headers-4.6.0-1-686
>> But when I click on it, it listes available versions all of which
>> start at 4.6.1 or better.
>>
>> I guess that means its not there eh?
>>
>> Any other suggestions?
>
> Any particular reason you need that particular version?  Could you
> upgrade your virtualbox VM to a different kernel and use the headers
> for that kernel (or if I'm misremembering which kernel requires the
> headers, upgrade the host machine kernel)?

I'm not sure about what you say there.  I'm not particularly
knowledgable about this but far as I can tell The guest addtions
require the guest OS's kernel headers to compile certain
modules... without them... no guest additions.

I already tried to upgrade the kernel on the guest OS to one with
headers available with apt-get.... but got into some trouble ending
with an non-bootable mess...

I'd rather leave the kernel building etc to someone who better knows
what they are doing.  It's said to be easily done....(Updating a
kernel) but my experience is a little different.  Or I'm just a little
dimmer than the average bear.