[REPOST] Re: Time quandry when dual boot with WinXP Pro

On 10/22/2016 3:15 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
2. Debian 8.6 w MATE run from LIVE DVD _displays_ the correct time
3. Debian 8.6 w MATE installed from DVD 1 of 13 with aid of custom
preseed.cfg
_displays_ a time 5 hours earlier.
My guess: the Live DVD uses NTP so as not to depend on the hwclock
whereas your installs don't.
As the saying goes, "that does not compute".  The machine in question has not
been connected to the internet, or any other network, for several years ;/

Simple: over all these years its lust for a network connection was so
strong that it managed to find a way to get to the Internet.

         Stefan

You may have identified the problem after all ;/
What might the side effects of specifying use of NTP on installation be? Is there something I can tweak in the *installed* system to duplicate what would have been done if the use of NTP had been specified in preseed.cfg? Even given an affirmative answer to above, I can do a complete reinstall to assist in tracking possible side effects -- there is no valuable data on that machine.