Re: Time quandry when dual boot with WinXP Pro

On 10/21/2016 11:46 AM, Doug wrote:

On 10/21/2016 10:21 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 10/21/2016 8:32 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 08:09:38AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm creating a preseed.cfg file for installing Debian 8.6 in a
dual-boot environment with some version of MS Windows. There
are two
distinct use cases:
    1. Two of my machines with WinXP Pro SP3
    2. A remote (~1000 miles]friend with several machines -
some with
WinXP, others with
       Windows 10 or later.

Uh, oh. Microsoft and time handling. This won't end well :-/

*ROFL*

*KEY* text text from original post was not quoted.
<begin restoration of text>

I have discovered on my WinXP machine that:
   1. WinXP _displays_ the correct time.
      "Date and Time Properties" - Time Zone set to
          (GMT-06:00)Central Time(US&Canada)
          Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes
2. Debian 8.6 w MATE run from LIVE DVD _displays_ the correct time
<end restoration of text>

    3. Debian 8.6 w MATE installed from DVD 1 of 13 with aid
of custom preseed.cfg
       _displays_ a time 5 hours earlier.
       The _display_ is independent of whether
            d-i clock-setup/utc boolean true
                        *OR*
            d-i clock-setup/utc boolean false

Yes, It's Windows' fault. Unfortunately, I don't remember the
details, but the cure is in the Registry.
If you google the problem, somewhere along the way, you will find
the Registry hack that fixes
the problem.

*Begin test sequence*
power off
power on
start Debian - time displayed 08:00 AM
power off
power on
start WinXP Pro SP3 - time displayed 01:00 PM
"Shut Down Windows" choosing "Restart" menu option
Chose Debian from Grub menu - time displayed 08:00 AM
shut down with restart option
Run Debian from Live DVD - time displayed 13:12
Shut down with power off
power on
Run Debian from Live DVD - time displayed 13:12
*EOT*

CONCLUSION
Can *NOT* blame Microsoft Windows for EVERYTHING ;/

--doug
This observation alone suggests strongly that this installation
"thinks" it should use the UTC (or any equivalent) time zone
to fudge back its way from the hardware clock to the UTC.

What is the value of d-i time/zone?

Relevant lines of preseed.cfg are

### Clock and time zone setup
#d-i clock-setup/utc boolean false