Re: What is *.cpp.d, and why is it breaking my compilations?

.d files are generated dependency files.

http://scottmcpeak.com/autodepend/autodepend.html

https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Automatic-Prerequisites.html

Your Ninja build is probably not generating these, (config issue?).

Jeff