Re: Script vs command line behaviour

On 2016-10-12 08:40 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 09:34:22PM +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> > # The systemctl stop for svnserve may not work as I haven't got around to
> > # making a stop script for it.
> > # So kill the process the old fashioned way
> > ps -ef | grep svnserve | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' | xargs kill -9
>
> Please consider replacing this with some variant of:
>
> pkill svnserve
>
> And stop using -9 (SIGKILL).  Forever.  Pretend it never existed.

Perhaps Greg means : try "kill <pid>" before "kill -9 <pid>".
Or is pkill more than a wrapper around kill(pid, 15) and
kill(pid, 9) ?

I used to have a user who had the bad habit of indiscriminately
going straight for SIGKILL. It was annoying. But not as much as
the fact that SIGKILL can't do anything about processes stuck in
"D" state. I really wish I knew a way to get rid of these.

--
André Majorel <http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
bugs.debian.org, a spambot's best friend.