Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Fri 30 Sep 2016 at 14:40:44 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> On Fri 30 Sep 2016 at 22:02:05 +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> > > The "U" in CUPS officially doesn't stand for anything. The same applies
> > > to the "C", "P" and "S".
> > >
> > According to whom, Brian? (Apart from you, obviously :) ). According to
> > the Internet (so it _must_ be true) it stands for Common Unix Printing
> > System. Are they, and the Gutenprint driver which prints that on its
> > test pages, just making sh*t up then? (To be fair I don't know which
> > component creates the test page, but I do know, because I am sitting
> > here with one about an inch away from my left hand, that when you ask
> > CUPS to print a test page, it prints that on the test page.)
>
> I take it you are talking about the Debian PrinterTestPage (the logo is
> at the left hand side). Nowhere on that page does it say "Common Unix
> Printing System". Even if it did say that this is a Debian document, not an
> official upstream CUPS document. It wouldn't count.
>
> The Internet might want CUPS to mean "Common Unix Printing System"; it
> could organise a day of protest demanding CUPS to mean "Common Unix
> Printing System"; it could sell tee shirts saying "CUPS - the Common
> Unix Printing System". That doesn't count either.
>
> Find any significant occurance of "Common Unix Printing System" in the
> official CUPS documentation or in its source code and there would be a
> case to answer. There isn't, so there isn't. :)
>
> The official name of the software is CUPS.

http://www.apple.com/server/docs/Print_Services_TB_v10.4.pdf
"At the heart of Mac OS X Server print services is a comprehensive,
standards-compliant open source printing architecture based on Common
UNIX Printing System (CUPS)."

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Printing/osxp_aboutprinting/osxp_aboutprt.html
"The Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS) layer provides the low-level
services, print queue management, and driver interfaces needed to
communicate with printing devices."

cups-2.2.1/locale/cups_ca.po (source)
"#
 # "$Id$"
 #
 #   Message catalog template for the Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS).
 #
 #   Copyright 2007-2015 by Apple Inc.
 #   Copyright 2005-2007 by Easy Software Products.
 #
 #   These coded instructions, statements, and computer programs are the
 #   property of Apple Inc. and are protected by Federal copyright
 #   law.  Distribution and use rights are outlined in the file "LICENSE.txt"
 #   which should have been included with this file.  If this file is
 #   file is missing or damaged, see the license at "http://www.cups.org/";. "

A couple of logos in cups-2.2.1/test/testfile.{pdf,ps} . The redition
in the latter is protected by Apple's copyright.

I suppose we now have to discuss the meaning of significant occurance [sic].

Cheers,
David.