Re: Recommendation: Backup system

Am 02.10.2016 um 12:55 schrieb Dan Purgert:
mo wrote:
Am 02.10.2016 um 02:47 schrieb Dan Purgert:
mo wrote:
Maybe this is a little OT, but what kind of backup strategy would you
guys recommend? (Any advice Gene? :) )

If it *must* survive, 3-2-1 is the way to go.

3 copies (Original, Backup, and Backup of the Backup)
2 different media types (such as HDD(Orig) + HDD(Bk1) + Optical(Bk2))
1 stored offsite

Except for the offsite storage (Just for my private data) this sounds
perfect for my needs. Good thing is that i have two free HDD's here with
2TB each, so this would work ;)

Yeah, I don't have a spare copy offsite either -- but I don't
(currently) have any electronic data that would be absolutely
devastating if I lost it.  If / when I have kids or something, then baby
pics among other things will likely have that status.

But i guess i should consider it, loosing all the data is quite hard (Had that a while ago).

[snip]
One question Dan: What do u use to encrypt your files? also openssl?

I just use PGP.

I need to delve into PGP a little more ;) (Currently i use the openssl command to do my encrpytion on the backup archives)