Re: Tip: debian-handbook > Debian Administrator's Handbook

On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 09:45:04AM -0400, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> Preface: AFTER writing all this up, it occurred to me to perform an
> in-house email search to see if this had already been recently
> addressed. Only 26 references total in some ~3.5GB of emails so I'm
> going ahead and posting this as its own special highlight.
>
> KEY THOUGHTS: .deb package, online ebook, hard copy purchase.
>
> ~

Four or five of those were probably from me. I can't recommend this book
highly enough - this is really really good documentation.

[And with a free licence and redistrubutable]

> >From my Shoes in answer to the same "Is this book for me?",
> appearances are that it certainly couldn't hurt since it's presented
> by Debian via even its most basic of installs possible (debootstrap).
>
> Alternatively, that debian-handbook package download also points us to:
>
> https://debian-handbook.info/get/
>
> THAT page offers a *_CHOICE_* between reading an online ebook or
> retrieving it otherwise. Rightly or wrongly, my interpretation of that
> is that the second option MIGHT be presenting the possibility of a
> hard copy purchase via Lulu.com (but I'm not quite sure because that's
> out of my realm of #Life experiences).
>
> Personally, I remain a huge fan of a hard copy book in hand, primarily
> because computers occasionally become completely inoperable and thus
> so do any downloaded ebooks included within. Of note, though, is that
> I've seen the debian-handbook package upgrade several times in recent
> weeks which quickly outdates an in-hand hard copy. Yes/no, that's been
> nothing new to tech users for decades, but still, it was worth noting.

debian-handbook is the correct package. There is a hard copy book
available through Lulu.com by clicking through the link on Raph's site.

It seems incredibly expensive - but it's very worth it in that it is
well produced and very well bound. My copy was on loan to a workshop for a while
- I installed the .deb package on every workstation that was there.