Re: Configuring Exim for mail delivery

On Saturday, October 01, 2016 05:06:07 AM mo wrote:
> My network is consisting of the following systems:
>
> Main PC - 192.168.23.11  (Running Debian Jessie)
> Server  - 192.168.23.200 (Running Debian Jessie)
>
> The server is always online, the PC is only half of the day on.
>
> What i want to do now is the following:
>
> Sending mail from my Main PC to my Server and also the other way around,
> from the Server to my Main PC.
> The Server should also be able to send mail to the "outside" (Meaning to
> other SMTP servers).
> The second requirement is optional since i dont own a domain and all
> this is sitting locally at my home. The most important thing for me is
> to send and receive mail from both systems in my home network.
> I hope this made my problem a little clearer :)
>
> I'm a little ashamed to say that, but i could not totally follow your
> explanations Mark... I'm quite a newbie when it comes to SMTP.. sorry :(
>
> Thanks again for all your help ;)

Here is how I do something similar (I don't need to get all emails to both
systems), and some other alternatives:

What I do now:

   * On my main desktop (which I normally use to send and receive emails), I
use kmail, which I consider a "Windows style" email client (because I don't
know what else to call it--it sends email via SMTP and receives email via
POP3--it (the PC) doesn't use anything like an MTA (e.g., postfix)) and is set
to delete emails from the server).

My email provider / server is Google (which I don't really like because of the
insecurity, but I started using it a long time ago and haven't bothered to
switch)--for really confidential emails I use encryption).

On the other PC, which I use only rarely to receive or send emails, I use a
browser to access my google mail account.  Even though I set kmail on the
other PC to delete emails from the server, google keeps them in the "all mail"
file for something like 30 days.  (Aside: I forget how emails sent from the
second PC get to the first--I'll have to test that--they do seem to get there.)

Other alternatives:

   * Use, for example, kmail on both PCs, but use something like rsync to keep
the mail folders in sync on both PCs.

   * <darn--getting old is a pain--I thought of a second alternative--I'll
post again if I remember... ;-) >