Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Sat 01 Oct 2016 at 00:39:35 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 30 Sep 2016 at 22:48:38 (+0100), Brian wrote:

> > > Their use of "developed by" is rather jaw-dropping as well.  Perhaps
> > > they mean it in the sense of "maintained by", but I think most people
> >
> > No, they mean "developed by...".
> >
> > > would read it as "created by" which is blatantly untrue.
> >
> > Most people have an understanding of language (which you appear to lack)
> > and would read it as "developed by...".
>
> I think that was rude and uncalled for.

And crediting someone with indulging in doublespeak, being a lawyer and
deserving pity isn't?

> The clever thing about the web page is the careful omission of a comma
> after system, so that the sentence gets read as
>
> C is the S   that is   developed by A
>
> rather than
>
> C is the S,   which was   developed by A.
>
> My observation is that most computer software websites credit the
> original authors/creators/developers in a place easily found by
> casual visitors. I haven't found any mention of Sweet outside the
> blog, and only a mere two occurrences there.

CUPS 2.2.0 was released on 13 Sep 2016. It was developed by Apple. CUPS
2.2.x will be developed by Apple and released soonish. CUPS 1.6.x, CUPS
1.7.x and CUPS 2.0.x were developed by Apple. Apple is the only entity
developing CUPS. "C is the S that is developed by A" looks an accurate
reflection of the state of affairs.

--
Brian.