Re: Configuring Exim for mail delivery

On 2016-09-30, mo <mo777@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi fellow Debian users ;)
>
> First off some information. (both, the pc and the server run Debian Jessie):
>
> Distributor ID:	Debian
> Release:	8.6
> Codename:	jessie
>
> Exim:
> ii  exim4                            4.84.2-2+deb8u1
>   all          metapackage to ease Exim MTA (v4) installation
> ii  exim4-base                       4.84.2-2+deb8u1
>   amd64        support files for all Exim MTA (v4) packages
> ii  exim4-config                     4.84.2-2+deb8u1
>   all          configuration for the Exim MTA (v4)
> ii  exim4-daemon-light               4.84.2-2+deb8u1
>   amd64        lightweight Exim MTA (v4) daemon
>

> I'm currently playing around with exim4... and to be honest i'm a little
> lost here.
> I want to do the following configuration:
> Send and deliver local mails between my systems. Currently exim is
> configured as a Internet Server (dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config).
> In general i kinda ask myself how i would go about doing that?
> I want to send mail from my server to my pc and vice versa, also i want
> to be able to send mail "out" to other smtp servers.
>
> Is Exim here the right choice? (I do think so at least)
>
> To be honest i never played with a smtp server before... so my knowledge
> is a bit foggy :P (Don't worry, i know what a MTA, MUA etc is)
>
> Thank you all in advance for your help ;)
>
> Btw: I will of course provide more information if needed ;)
>
> Greets
>
> mo

If you run 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config' again, you will see a
question about "Other destinations for which mail is accepted". Here you
would enter something like '*.yourdomain.com', where your PC and
server belong to that domain. In that way exim4 will deliver email
directly to those hosts rather than relaying outside your network.

Regarding your second requirement, you probably want to choose the
second option on the first screen, ie, "mail sent by smarthost; received
via SMTP or fetchmail". You would then enter the name of your ISP's SMTP
when prompted later for the name of the smarthost.

--

Liam