automated install using preseeding

Is there any documentation on how to do an automated install of debian
testing?  I've done a manual install of debian in a VM and would like
to automate the process.  I've read the debian admin manual
(appendices) and I'm afraid it's a bit over my head.  Is there any
site/link that explains something like(not sure of all the steps)

-- start VM with a netinstall iso and do a manual install of debian test
-- generate a preseed file of currently installed debs on the debian
   test install
-- edit preseed file to add additional software say, Emacs, vim, R
-- create an iso with preseed file and currently installed packages
-- shutdown VM
-- rerun VM pointing to the newly created ISO which should do an
   automated install
-- if it stops or asks for input, cancel install, edit preseed file,
   fix the issue and recreate iso and do install again

>From reading the docs, some which are quite outdated, I think those
are the steps?  This is the simplest I can get to.  If I dig deeper,
things like ansible, puppet, vagrant start cropping up which seems
like months of learning before I can even start a custom auto
installable iso.

sivaram