Re: change password prompt

On 9/19/16, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 11:01:33AM -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:

>> >sudoers(5) says that you should change 'passprompt_override' setting.
>> >
>> >Reco
>> >
>> I'm trying, but failing to find an example of how to use that, like the
>> precise syntax to use.
>> The man page doesn't give any example, so it's not clear how to use it.
>
> This line in /etc/sudoers works for me:
>
> Defaults passprompt_override,passprompt="ENTER NUCLEAR LAUNCH CODE:"
>
> Of course you should use visudo, not edit /etc/sudoers directly.

Having played along while lurking, I am so leaving that in there for
right now. The "for right now" disclaimer is that I'll likely forget
it's there when I overhaul things soon. That whole thing about our
/etc tweaks becoming a little more set off to the side during upgrades
(e.g. finding a more static permanent home), this is a silly example,
but it reminds me of being a part of chatting that topic up quite a
while back now.

There is so much out there that can be personalized in this way. Doing
so often inspires learning more about the internal developer side of
things, too, once one silly little tweak like this works.

Life Lesson Learned the Very Hard Way: My experience has been that
playing along with these things also easily leads to breaking things
beyond repair. If anyone else is thinking of quietly playing along
while lurking, make sure you back things up first.

May this thread trigger many more minds to dig deep, deep, deeper into
their Debian.....

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey