Re: Jessie (8.0) - Unexpected behavior of "MATE Terminal" after reboot

Hello,

Not a bug, but a feature since the first C shell release in 1978 [1],
which was copied to pretty much every shell created since (Korn
shell/ksh, Bourne again shell/bash, Z shell/zsh, …). The reason behind
it is that – since Unix predates most graphical user interfaces, and
most of the time the computers were accessed over slow modem lines – in
case of a disconnect you might want to know which commands you entered
last, and maybe re-run them with different parameters.

But really, this shouldn't influence your learning. After all, the shell
only remembers the history of entered commands, it does neither replay
those commands, nor save the state of the shell upon exit. Think of it
as kind of the URL history a browser saves. Just because the URL is
saved, it doesn't automatically load the page on startup. Depending on
the shell you're actually using, it might even be possible to
temporarily disable the shell history, akin to “Incognito Mode”.

Regards
/peter

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_shell#History