'Wiring down' hard disks

Hi

Could someone please advise me the best way to ensure a particular hard disk (SATA) always appears at a specific device node, i.e how can I be sure /dev/sdb for example is always going to refer to a specific drive even if others are added or removed?

UUIDs only apply to partitions, is there no way to do a similar thing for a physical disk?

I have some existing partitioned and formatted disks in a server which I want to plug into another machine and move the services over to a VM

Many thanks

Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app