Re: WordPress on Debian

On 09/19/2016 12:11 PM, Kent West wrote:
There's a lot of conflicting documentation out there for installing
WordPress on Debian, so I thought I'd come to you folks, who generally
have a lot of wisdom and knowledge in all things Debian.

This will wind up being more a theoretical discussion than a specific
question of how-to, I'm afraid....

Understand I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to Apache2 and
WordPress and MySQL, etc (and to web stuff in general).

It seems that some docs indicate that the WordPress (WP) should put part
of its installation in /srv, and part in /usr/lib, and part in /var/lib,
and part in /var/www, etc.

On a philosophical/theoretical level, I want all my web-facing stuff on
a single partition, preferably /home (as in /home/web), so that visitors
to the site have no ability to tinker on the other partitions. Why would
the HFS recommend that user-accessible files be on system partitions
instead of on "safer" partitions?

Am I thinking wrongly?

I don't really even know enough to ask the right questions, but I'm
hoping this might stir some conversations that lead me to asking the
right question few years vns.

A few years back, I just installed Proxmox to bare metal on a dedicated and used turnkeylinux containers. It's a one click install via html interface from your desktop browser..
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Downloads#Proxmox_Virtual_Environment_4.2_.28ISO_Image.29
https://www.turnkeylinux.org/all
Today, Docker gets all the press for doing what Proxmox did years ago. Plus, the Proxmox server is built on Debian. Yay! Ric
http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html