Re: Debian Jessie : regular console instead of a hi-res one!

rhkramer@gmail.com composed on 2016-09-15 07:28 (UTC-0400):

...  my only reason for writing is to suggest (to the OP) that he consider
using a fairly inexpensive digital flat screen tv as his monitor.  I currently
use a 1080P 32" T that I bought for under $200 (on sale, somewhere, sometime,
probably either Newegg or TigerDirect).

It has something like 1920x1280 resolution (which is enough resolution for
me)--lets me easily set up two large windows side by side on the screen.

When I installed Wheezy, iirc (some years ago), fonts were pretty good (i.e.,
plenty big enough) with little or no intervention.  When I recently built a
Jessie machine I did initially get some very small fonts and I had to do some
adjustment.

Things too small on a 32" TV--get a 40 or 48 or even bigger TV (although the
expense does go up)--again on sale, about 2 years ago I found a 48" TV for
about $250.

Using a TV is nice idea at least in theory. A virtually blind friend uses a 42", seated at a pretty typical viewing distance, for Stretch and Leap. It takes me a lot of head movement to use. Most screens 20" & up are actually just small HDTVs (16:9 panels) with connections made for computers instead of TV, omitting any tuner, and commonly omitting speakers. However, larger may not be feasible:

1-boss provides hardware, so you get what you get, use it or get fired

2-space may be limited

3-personal field of view may be limited such that a bigger screen necessitates a large distance between eyes and screen

4-no money, must use whatever you already have

5-screens are designed for a certain range of viewing distances - 1080p is rather grainy when close enough to actually make typical default sizes adequate for someone using a big screen in order to make things big rather than providing room for more of similarly sized objects

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/