Problem with dpkg-source -b outside current working dir

Hi,

according to the man page, dpkg-source -b takes an argument that is "the
 name  of the directory containing the debianized source tree". But that
does not work for me if the directory is not the current working directory.

When is execute dpkg-source in the package's source directory, i.e.
   SRCDIR$ dpkg-source -b .
everything works fine. But if I execute dpkg-source from a different
directory with the absolute path as its argument
   /tmp$ dpkg-source -b $SRCDIR
it complains that can't find the original tarball at
../pkg_vers.orig.tar.*. Shouldn't it look into $SRCDIR/..?

Im using dpkg-source from dpkg-dev 1.18.4ubuntu1.1 in Ubuntu 16.04.

Thanks, Malte