Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

On Wed 14 Sep 2016 at 17:11:26 -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:

Alan McConnell's responses are indented and begin with >.

> From: "Brian" <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>

Brian's resonses are not indented.

> >          Yep.  I have been back to my Jessie in the meantime, and run os-prober.
> >          I didn't attempt to copy down on a piece of paper what it wrote; trust me
> >          that it was unenlightening garbage.
>        Ah. That's good.  Your E-mail reader seems to respect my indentations.  Others
>        don't, alas.  Do you perchance use mutt?

Perchance.

> What is "unenlightening" to you may not be unenlightening to others;
> trust me on that. "garbage" is *your* value judgement;
>          No, I'm going to insist on my "garbage" denotation.  Since I have a very
>          acceptable way of going from one OS to another, your input on what os-prober
>          returned to me is of little interest to me, and much less to the other members
>          of this E-list, I'm sure.

You can insist on what you want. It is easy when only you know what the
the output is.

>          But I'd like to defend what Lisi calls a "kludge".  Here is what I do: when I
>          boot, or reboot my machine, if I do nothing I get my Jessie, which is what I
>          want.  If I want to go to Windoze, I gotta hold the F12, as Felix Mieta taught
>          me several moons ago, and then I get put into a nice menu: Choose the boot
>          manager.  I use my Arrow keys to get to Windows boot manager, and voila! in a
>          few seconds I'm in Windoze.  Not so difficult after all.  And I would think that
>          an expert programmer, which I used to be but am not any more, could put those
>          few simple steps into a "first of all" window.  Maybe a simple grub file?

That's fine; it does what you want and will serve you well. Stick with
it. but forget about involving GRUB.

> We Debian users yearn for the day when copy 'n paste and USB sticks are
> invented. It will make things so much easier to move information (which
> is severely lacking from you in this thread) about.
>          Yes.  If I could move stuff from my Windows OS to my Jessie, and vice
>          versa, that would be a big help.  Any suggestions from anyone about that?
>          Linux used to be able to go into MS-DOS and put files there and get files
>          out of there.  Has anyone any information on that?

I rather think there is an answer in the response you quoted.

> > > Should you be game to try installing Jessie again, you might try a network
> > > installation started via a Stretch installer.
> >          Jeez!  I can't even run X11 on my present install(*) let alone get on
> >          line.
>        That situation has changed as of just an hour ago.  I did a reinstall of
>        xorg(or maybe it was x11), and my 'startx', from my old wheezy(fortunately
>        saved) worked, after I'd done a few tweeks to my .xinitrc.  I tried my
>        old beloved sawfish(now wmctl) but that didn't work as well as metacity.

Good. (Your technique is extraordinary but comments on it are outside
the scope of this thread).

> > (*)  Does anyone here know how to create a .Xauthority file?  That is one of the
> > things the Jessie installer failed to provide me with.
>
> You've asked this five months ago:
>         I did indeed.  That was before my old machine gave up the ghost.  I am
>         impressed, Brian, that you keep such careful track of me.

I have a reasonably good memory. It was GNOME not installing libreoffice
which triggered the connections. So unusual. You never responded to that
either at the time it was pointed out.

> My final problem is: how to get my Jessie to get on line.  I don't think this is
> anything anyone here can help me with, since I live in a retirement community
> which has a huge contract with Comcast.  I called a tech person here, and he gave me
> a username and password which got me, and keeps me, online . . . but only for the
> Windoze side.  I gotta do some exploring to see if I can make this work with Jessie.

I'm confident you are resourceful and will manage.

--
Brian.