Re: Debian server for backups of Windows clients

On Saturday 10 September 2016 10:53:20 rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Saturday, September 10, 2016 10:40:26 AM Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry, I tend to pick at nits, but, for the record, 1000/8 is 125
> > > Mb/s.  It doesn't (really) change your conclusions.
> > >
> > > regards,
> > > Randy Kramer
> >
> > You make an assumption many folks do, but theres a start bit and a
> > stop bit so the math is more like 1000/10=100 Mb/s.
>
> Well, 1000/8 is still 125 ;-) but I wouldn't have written back just to
> say that.  Isn't it the case that there is something less than 1 start
> and 1 stop for every byte--maybe like 1 stop bit for every several
> bytes?  (I am just (slightly) curious.)
>
> And, iirc, there are variations (which may be obsolete--I seem to
> remember one protocol that had either 2 start or 2 stop bits?

Yes, still in use in some legacy stuffs.

There may be some inroads into the 10 bits per byte, but tcp is so old I
doubt that synchronization portion took a hit.  Thats what it is, is
keeping everything in synch. Even USB has that same data format. Sata
for disks, being much newer, may have abandoned that, particularly for
the disks whose native format is a 4096 byte sector. I've also found
sata cabling is about 1000% flakier, requiring more frequent
replacements.

> regards,
> Randy Kramer

Cheers, Gene Heskett